Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Ordinary

I am back.

I have decided that life is much more interesting when you remove the false label of "minister". There is a binding force that occurs when one lines themselves behind the institution that is the church. There are things that cannot be said, opportunities that cannot be explored, topics that cannot be broached.

At age 35, I believe that I have discovered a secret that many of us should embrace:

I'm ordinary.

I am a father, a husband, a co-worker, a son, a brother, a nephew, an uncle, and a grandson. I get up each morning, put my legs into a pair of pants, grab a cup of Dunkin, and spend 45 minutes listening to sports radio while staring at the licence plates of my other ordinary counterparts.

I did not dream of this life, nor did I reach out and try to give it back. I chose this life and in between waking up and going to sleep I have determined that there isn't a whole lot that I can do to change that.

So tonight I begin a new literary journey. I am going to write about what life is like for a 35 year old father and what types of hurdles one most jump through to keep moving everything along.

We'll start tomorrow......

2 comments:

tixie said...

Welcome back.

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you back.