Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Just Dance

There is a dance that we all partake in and it tends to last a lifetime.

I have been dancing for 33 years and hope to continue for years to come. I enjoy the dance and even though there have been times when I have stood in the middle of the floor and wondered where everyone has gone.....I have never stopped dancing.

There are times when the room has been filled with people and the music has been blaring with my favorite tunes. I have moved with great feeling and my body has felt alive. The faces of my past shoot by me in a whirl of smiles and shouts. We dance together and for a period of time my life is seemingly perfect.

Then the music slows and the energy wanes. The faces slow and soon I am keenly aware of being alone. I stare off into the shadows and notice that there is a darkness into which I cannot penetrate. I am not allowed to leave the room and so I dance. I dance to the music and allow the sadness to control my movements. The sound of my scuffling feet and gentle sobs are all that echo across the walls. The dance continues and I move to the music of life.

Then the melody begins to change and the rhythm picks up. The lights shine and I glance around waiting for the party to begin again. The faces are back and we enjoy the feeling of the pulsating beat coursing through our bodies. We move again and there is laughter where there was once a sob. I throw my arms out and relish the moment for it is fleeting....I know that the music will slow again but I must enjoy the moment....it is a gift given to me.

And so it goes.......I dance.......over and over.........I dance.

There will come a day when the music will gently slow and then stop. The lights will come up and the door to my room will open, beckoning me to leave. I don't know what is on the other side of that door but I am fairly certain that the music of angels awaits me.

So my friends the only option we have in this life is to dance. No matter what the mood or beat might be......we must dance. Tap your feet......move your arms.....bob your head.......

Just dance.....

Dance to the rhythm of Life.

No comments: