Tuesday, May 08, 2007

You Can't Go Back

"Hello?"

The young man peered into the darkness and tried to allow the shadows to take shape.

"Hello.....is anybody there?"

The silence answered in the expected manner and the young man took a tentative step through the doorway. He was immediately enveloped with a sense of fear and he began to back out of the room only to find that the door had disappeared.

"You can't go back." A voice whispered through the abyss

The man whirled around, desperately trying to see who was in the room with him.

"Who said that!" He yelled.

"You know." The voice whispered back.

The voice did sound familiar and the man searched back through his memories.....and then it came to him.

"Destiny......is that you?" The man asked quietly.

"Yes."

"I haven't heard from you in years.....why show up now?"

"I thought that you might need some help considering your situation."

"Situation?" The man furrowed his brow in confusion.

"You know.....that day."

"Oh......." The man's voice trailed off as he tried to fight off the memories.

"Listen. I just wanted to make sure that you understood that there is a purpose for your life and thought you might want to have a little reassurance."

"Thanks....." The man stood quietly in the void waiting for the conversation to continue.....it didn't.

"Destiny?"

"Yes." The voice whispered back.

"It is really dark in here....any chance we can get some light? I would love to see you face to face."

"You know you aren't allowed to see me. It doesn't work like that."

"It would be a lot easier to interact with you if I could at least look at you."

"Trust me....if you saw me then your life would just get more complicated. It is better if you just follow me."

"What if I don't want to follow you? What if I decide to just stay where I am?"

"I stay as well....I only move if you move."

"Great..."

"So....are you going to take a step?" Destiny asked with a bit of irritation.

"Maybe....where are you taking me?"

"To Him."

"Him?"

"Him."

The young man gathered his thoughts and tried to will his feet to step forward but it was just to difficult.

"I can't move....I'm scared." He said with a quiet voice.

"Put your hand down by your side."

"What? What is that going to do?" the young man asked.

"Go ahead and do it. I have somebody who will help guide you."

The man slowly ran his hand down his shirt and rested it gently on his pant leg.

"Okay.....now what?"

He heard a rustling down by his feet and then sucked his breath in when he felt the small fingers of a child grasp onto one of his fingers. He smiled as he heard the little giggle that he knew so well.

"Hello Angel." He said with a gentle whisper.

"Hi Daddy." The little one responded back with a tiny laugh.

"So.......are you ready to take the next step?" Destiny asked again.

The young man peered into the darkness and felt the small squeeze of his daughter's finger at his side. He took a deep breath.....

"Yes."

Destiny let out a little sigh and then gave the order.

"Just follow my voice......it is a long journey. He is waiting for you.....in fact He is the one who sent me."

The young man began to walk and then he heard Destiny begin to sing in the most beautiful voice.....

"Amazing Grace.....how sweet the sound.....that saved a wretch like me......"

He felt a slight tug on his hand and he heard his daughter say...

"Just follow the voice Dad......just follow the voice."

1 comment:

kris@thebigboat said...

Todd,

I didn't know about your first daughter. I am so sorry. But I am strengthened by your ability to move on and trust in her continual presence in your life, even as she has taken up a greater residence. (I go to prepare a place for you). Don't be afaid to try again! It sounds like you are!

Peace from PK (I took your old office at POP from 2000-2006!)