Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Stand Alone


There are moments in life where one must stand alone.
It takes guts.

It takes vision.

It takes a belief that when all is said and done that what you have stood for will make this world a better place and the loneliness of the battle can finally fade away. It is not an easy task and many times the reaction to your decision will be hurtful......

I remember in a History class during college that the professor asked a question that I knew I had the answer for. I was a freshman and the class was a Senior level course full of people who were much better prepared to enter into a discussion with the articulate professor. Various other students began to answer the question and I sat there with my eyes looking at the desk while trying to decide whether or not to actually raise my hand or not. I listened while the professor politely dismissed each answer as being a good attempt but not what he was looking for. Finally, the room fell silent and all eyes were focused on the professor.....except mine. The professor asked if there were any more attempts and I sadly kept my head down....to afraid to answer.

I would have been right.

I also would have received 20 points of extra credit on my next exam.

I was not happy.

There is a problem occurring in our society today in which the ability to make a decision has become hindered by the uncertainty of what life will be like tomorrow. We are bombarded each day with so many images of death and destruction that we soon become fearful to leave the confines of what we know to be safe. Like cattle we wake up each morning and travel the same roads, eat the same food, talk to the same people and generally avoid venturing out of what our routine has dictated. When a change is proposed we balk at the idea of having do something different and steer clear of what we don't know.

What if the change is for the better? What if the change is something that you have been looking for? What if the change will make your life have meaning?

There are many times that we see something that we know to be good, but those around us lack the ability to open their eyes to the possibility. We hate the idea of departing on a new road without the companionship of our friends and family, but there are times when your departure may actually benefit those you love in the long run.

When God presents a new direction don't be afraid to look at your fears. The fearful part is normal but the lack of movement is not. We were not put here to just sit inside our ten mile comfort zone and wait to die. Listen for the opportunities and even though it may feel as if you are standing alone....understand that you are rooted in the love of God.

The question from the Professor?

"What one entity has influenced the shape and structure of the world throughout history?"

The answer?

"God."

I knew the answer. I was just to afraid to share it. Sometimes one must stand alone and share what they know to be true.

How can you go wrong when the answer is God?

No comments: