Monday, January 01, 2007

Turn. Stand. Fight.

The year began 9 hours ago and so far it seems to be going pretty well. I have maintained my health, my marriage is strong, I enjoy where I work, and I don't see any fires on the horizon.

Life is good. 2007 is good.

So far.

There is something scary about the 1st of January. All we have to do is look back on the following year and see all of the things that happened that we never could have expected. There were good moments and bad moments, happy times and sad times, births and deaths, job gains and job losses. We stood and fought the hours of time, but the clock always seemed to win. The hour hand hit midnight and we sent 2006 into the history books and turned our eyes towards 2007 and all that it might hold. I drained my glass of champagne with a sense of success and walked to the car with a sense of trepidation. I know that tomorrow is coming and yet when I try to focus on the future it always comes out looking like a black curtain. The new year is here and I want someone to assure me that it won't bite.

I'm scared...

It is a natural human reaction to the unknown and I assume that I'm not the only one who carries fear in my heart. There have been too many tragedies in all of our lives for us not to walk around wondering when the next shoe is going to drop. The funny part is that we all try and act tough when we are out in public. We walk around with these smiles on our faces and tell everyone we meet that life is good, life is sweet, life smells like roses.

Here's a little secret; there are times when Life smells like.........well you get the picture.

That might be a little shocking, but it's reality. Life is never perfect and there are times when it gets hard...really hard. There was never a promise made to the human race that life would be easy and therefore we might as well learn to deal with the ups and downs. The question is not why does Life have to be so hard...no...the question is how do we deal with Life when it gets difficult?

What is your plan? What is your course of action?

When the pungent smell of Life gone bad circles into your house, how do you handle it? Do you bury your head in the pillows hoping that it will go away or do you stand and fight? Do you turn and run or do you crouch and attack?

This is your Life! This is a precious gift given to you by God! Do not let an outside influence take it away from you! The only one who can have the privilege of living your life is you...and that means you are supposed to fight for it! Do not let the world and all of its anger tear you away from the most important possession that you have.

Turn. Stand. Fight.

This is a battle that you cannot lose. The giver of Life is God and He will fight along side of you for as long the battle might take. Your life is important to Him and He doesn't want this gift to be taken away...ever. When you look back at 2006 and then turn your eyes towards 2007 understand that there is one constant that has not changed with the turning of the calendar.

God's unconditional love and presence.

Do not fear the future and never allow this world to dictate the direction your life will go. God knows the way home...follow Him and allow the battles to come.

The year began 10 hours ago and so far it seems to be going pretty well. I have maintained my health, my marriage is strong, I enjoy where I work, and I don't see any fires on the horizon. Life is good.

Thank you God.

No comments: