Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Does God Play Favorites?

"Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite."

My sister-in-law Katherine shared this bumper sticker with me last night. We were in the middle of a deep discussion about faith and how you figure out the meaning of life. She told me this with a mischievous look in her eye and the smile of someone who knows that they are kidding but also with the longing for it to be true. Her insightful comment offers up a very interesting question:

Does God play favorites?

Are there those of us who are considered "more important" to God and therefore get the prize lives while others are cast as supporting players and are relegated to the back of the bus? Is God playing a dangerous game of "pick and choose" and therefore we all better be on our best behavior less we are put into the "average" category with the rest of humanity? Are we valuable to God or merely pawns that are helping someone else ascend to the head of the class?

There are times I look around the world and wonder if God even sees me. I am being honest when I say that there are times I open my mouth in prayer and all I hear is crickets. The silence is deafening and I peek out from my folded hands hoping to see something that will indicate that God actually heard my heartfelt words. Had my prayers been acknowledged or is God to busy with more important people? Are my prayers in the proverbial "To Do" box and will be looked at in due time? Did I not meet the criteria for a meaningful exchange? Where do I fall on the list of influential people?

There is only one answer that can cure the fear that God may not always hear what we say:

Jesus Christ.

It is important to remember that Jesus could have been born into royalty, he could have had a nice bed, warm baths, servants, and bountiful food. Jesus could have fought back, he could have chosen the social elite for his disciples, he could have used the fact that his father was God to dominate the landscape, and above all...he could have lived.

God inserted himself into the world via a poor family who represented the very people that He needed to reach. He was deliberate in making sure that His son would be exposed to the world as a whole. This was done for the simple fact that Jesus would eventually die in order to forgive the sins of the people of earth. It was a risky decision, but one that would change everything and eventually cause the world to take pause and realize who God really is.

God did not sent His son to die just for the socially powerful, the rich, the religious leaders, the upper crust, or well paid. No...He sent his son to die for all of us...no matter what type of life we lead. It is important to remember that Jesus died for you and that automatically puts your name at the top of any list that God might have.

So I want to add something to the bumper sticker that Katherine shared with me. I think it should read:

"Jesus loves you...but I'm his favorite...and so are you."

Amen, and may God bless your family during this Christmas season.

No comments: